Sunday, March 18, 2007

Creative Destruction?

Today I used some of the inherent angst my teenage helpers have to help make a point. I had one of them take a crow bar to an old computer. He messed the thing up... badly.

Why did I do this?

I needed a way to make what the prodigal son did real. Kids don't understand the value of money well. They don't place the same value on it that we as adults do. However, computers are something kids put value on. They see them as cool and desirable.

The result was tangible. They were amazed that someone would destroy a valuable thing like a computer. When I told them that the prodigal son did the same kind of thing with his father's money they got it. I was a bit worried that the message might get lost in the digital abuse, but it was a good illustration. The kids understood the concept of throwing away what is valuable for the long haul for something that is just short term fun.

So I guess creative destruction paid off... for once.
Powered By Blogger